Encounter 1:
We are just now seeing fruits of our labours in the the garden. We got a bit of a late start and so seeing the first tomato turn red felt like a miracle. I wanted to pick it instantly but Josh said it could use a few more days (and he was right). However, the next morning, when I went out to check my precious firstling it was half eaten and there was an all too familiar pile of deer droppings right next to it. (They are also enjoying our dogwood that we planted).
Encounter 2:
Just a few days ago Josh notices a few mounds of dirt popping up near our property line. He thought it might be gophers. It was, and that is when we also learned gophers like pumpkins (and tomatoes).
Noah has given three suggestions to get rid of them: Call the police and have them come get those bad guys. Call the mean gopher guy from Curious George (reference to not so promising episode...a farm completely dug up and gophers freed by a monkey). Turn on the sprinklers and maybe they'll run away.


Encounter 3:
I let Scout out yesterday morning and saw him play around with this large bug. When he moves on I notice that it might actually be a large, dead spider. I called for backup. Josh swoops it up with his (bare) hand and an empty water bottle only to see it uncurl its huge black widow self and walk around inside the bottle. I still get the shivers typing it and my only peace of mind is knowing pest control has already come out to spray this morning.

Encounter 4:
This morning Josh rushes in "The gophers have taken over, look at the lawn!" From the window you just see little mounds ALL OVER the grass. On further inspection Josh comes back in, "Well its not gophers, a horse must have got out last night." Sure enough, you could see divots and horseshoe marks all over backyard, right up next to the house, everywhere. I have no idea what horse it was (the neighbors horses where all accounted for and no visual sign of a breakout by the fence).


As you can see we are 0 for 4 and hoping for any advice to help us better coexist with our creature friends.
5 comments:
oh Lolly. I am sorry for your misadventures, yet they all gave me a chuckle.Good luck. I have no ideas.
I'm so glad Josh and Scout are ok after their close encounter of the third kind! Don't know what to tell you about the other pesky varmints, but a mysterious night-marauding horse is weirdly cool.
What the...? I'm sorry, but that was a hilarious post. All except the black widow - that's creepy! Ahhh, the country!
I don't know if I should laugh or cry for you. A horse I don't get it, where ever did it come from? you are darling hang in there. Even today Tay wanted to play with noha but i have to go to work and have too much to do to have a play date but soon:)
Ahhhh gotta love country living :)
After a few months of cockroaches I caved and now we have a lovely service that sprays for those and creepy black widows.
I gotta say I am jealous (but in a good way) of your new casa. How big is your yard? What a cool pace to raise the kids.
Congrats on the pregnancy, sorry about all the scary things that came with it.
I love reading your blog and peaking in on your life :) Thanks for sharing :)
Post a Comment