Thursday, January 22, 2009

my winter comforts

a warm bed
Our master bedroom is over the garage and seems to be a good ten degrees colder then the rest of the house. I beg Josh to make snow angels to warm up the sheets before I hop in. Clara is still up 2/3 times a night (I know she's 10 months, that's a whole other post). Getting out from those warm covers can be painful. A warm bed also makes me think snuggle time with the whole family...nothing better.

TLC and HGTV
Josh points out how amazing it is that after a crazy day of chasing kids, I will tuck them in and fall on to the couch and for a break turn on John and Kate plus Eight to watch the tantrums and cries of strangers children. I admit it is bit bazaar but there is some comfort in it. He even gave me their book for Christmas. (Which embarrassed me a little but I didn't hesitate to read and was really inspired by the deep faith they have.)

4 wheel drive
I hate driving in the snow and I have labeled our street Snowville instead of Coalville. There have been storms where our street will have 8 inches of snow and a mile down the hill a mere trace. Our Pilot has given me peace and comfort through many a storm.

There was a time during college I drove a Mercury Tracer. (Remember I was a California girl going to BYU) The car had this snowflake button on the dash. I was so grateful it had that snow feature that I drove with a little more confidence every time I pushed it in. One day I had my sister (I think) in the car who was like, "why are you turning on your AC on, it's freezing! Oops.

food
soups, breads, sweets. Basically all things baked, or creamy that hide nicely under layers of sweaters or sweats (another comfort). Unfortunately these do not fall in line with my New Year's goals. They are sorely missed and not forgotten.

9 comments:

Rebecca said...

I am a bit embarrassed by the snow button, but hey - I am glad it worked for you. ( I don't know how to drive in snow still. I wouldn't mind a button in my car.)

Lissy Sarvela said...

LOL!!! Laura, I distinctly remember the "snow feature" incident! You are so stinking funny. I miss the good old days when you were a dumb blonde. Too bad, now you are a sage and wise woman. (I love the way you write. You have a beautiful flow that helps me picture what you are saying). Love you, Sis!

Peg said...

Snow angels in the bed - a scientifically sound and cozy strategy for cold sheets if someone is willing to sacrifice himself. Lucky girl.

Snowflake buttons on the dashboard - a classically funny story in family lore, but the truth is it makes sense to me. (That probably doesn't make you feel better since I once pushed the panic button on my keys to make the car alarm go off. I was a bit panicked so...)

Amy said...

Love the story of the snow button! THat kills! We live in Valencia now and have no snow. I have to say, I really haven't missed it. When its snowing in Tehachapi, we are chillin' at 50 degrees here! Love it!

The Lanyons said...

Hilarious about the snowflake button! I'm going to have to get Edward to do snow angels in our bed - what a clever idea!! You're so funny.

inkley boys said...

I just love your blog you are so funny I love your humor. So my trick is (Bry would never do snow angels in our bed) I just turn on the heating pad that I have tucked inbetween the comforter and blanket to heat up the foot of the bed, I too live over the garage and love a warm bed!

Catherine said...

So I don't sleep over the garage but right next to it! Can I count that as a reason why my room is so darn cold? I love watching other people painfully making it through life- so keep watching John and Kate(never heard of it) but I'm sure it gives you some comic relief.

Jennifer said...

I loved your Mercury Tracer...fun memories! Your blog is so much fun. I love the family photo; you have a beautiful family.

Jenn Cherry

Megan said...

The snow button on the tracer is priceless Laura Kate. It was so fun to see you this weekend. It's been too long. Love your cute blog!