Tuesday, December 30, 2008

happy highlights of 2008

What a year! I feel like time flies twice as fast having two kids. I'm going to dive right in, no particular order.



1. clara jane

I carried her for nine months in the womb and have since carried her nine sweet months from her birth on March 21st. She has been attached on my hip (or chest) day and night. Just in the last week or so her mobility and confidence has led her to explore beyond my arms reach. Instead of what I thought would be cheers, I have felt a little sadness. I guess that is true mothering...loving, nurturing, and letting them take those steps on their own.



2. the french laundry

Back in June I was invited by a former student's family to go to Napa Valley and enjoy a nine course meal at the top restaurant in the country. It was a way to say thank you to all the teachers Anna had in elementary school. I was flattered by the invitation, Josh and I looked up the restaurant online, were completely giddy but I didn't consider it (clara was only a few months, and we live in Utah). Josh swooped in with perfect perspective and totally made it happen. It was an amazing, once in a lifetime experience, start to finish. It was so wonderful to visit with my old friends, student and colleagues. Stepping back in to that special time of life made me appreciate the opportunities I was able to have before kids and the gratitude I have to be home with my own now and hopefully bring a little magic to them every now and again.


3. noah takes a ride

I sent Josh to the store to buy noah (then just 2 yrs. old) a scooter. I had in mind a three wheel scooter with a big deck, and a picture of elmo on it. Josh came out with a red razor. yes, like the one your 10 year old might ride...heavy, two wheels, narrow sharp edge deck, that's the one. My little Noah, (who still is in a crib that he lines with police cars and firetrucks to protect him, sleeps with the light on, door open, and is terrified to be swung upside down) jumped right on and never looked back. He is this agile, tricked out rider, for whom (as his mother) I feel this horrible sense of pride and fear.


4. santa cruz

We rented a beach house for two weeks in August. Josh woke early and carried his surfboard down to all his old surf spots. He is a long boarder which makes for a more friendly crew on the water. He was even given a name by one of the old timers, "Utah." I see a lot more surf trips in our future. The boardwalk was another fun night. I know I sound silly but I felt true joy as I watched Noah's pure fun in riding the carnival rides. He was so happy! We were also so lucky to have visits from family on both sides able to enjoy the home with us.


5. markets down, rates down, and josh up

If you have the chance to come north on I-15 from Provo to SLC,just as you crest the point of the mountain, look to your right. There on the billboard is my husband advertising his mortgage company. He did a loan for the owner of the billboard and voila! - his face in lights. The last 6 weeks have been so crazy with rates in the 4's. Josh is so busy. I know it is a good thing, I just need to take the kids on drives on I-15 to tell goodnight to dad.



6.home for the holidays

I love where I grew up. I didn't realize it was a small town until I went to college. I was pulled over twice for driving with my lights off. (Provo was so well lit, and where I lived you put your lights on to see the road) My roommates also laughed when I started a story of "I went into town with my mom" like I was some hillbilly driving into town to get supplies. This Christmas I was reminded again of those roots when we all drove 4-wheelers and a bush hog on our 5 acre property. My sister (in-law) labeled her pict. on facebook "a redneck Christmas". I can fully embrace it all from cutting down the fresh Christmas tree at a friends farm, caroling at Gagons and Evers, to having the well freeze and water stop right as the shampoo was all lathered in good. It really was happy times, clara learned to wave, and noah had fun playing with his cousins and Aunt Beck.

My year in review took about a year to do (and for you to read.)

Happy New Year!







11 comments:

Peg said...

I loved reading your highlights and seeing events I was aware of from your perspective. I know those mixed feelings with the kids, Laura. Every little step (like Clara's "detaching") is a thrill and a loss, and the mix of fear and pride for Noah. Many years ahead of the same.. This was a very nice one. :)

Rebecca said...

Thank you for letting me be a part of some of your family's momentous occasions. 2008 was a great year.I love you guys

Peg said...

I LOVE your new family picture!!! The blog is awesome

darcie said...

it wasn't a redneck christmas! i just felt a little back woodsy mudding about. it was as classy a christmas as could be.

Lissy Sarvela said...

Yes, it was a redneck Christmas, and we are PROUD of it!!! Good times we had by all. And I am pleased that I was able to be a part of most of your other memorable experiences this year. Thanks for including me in your life and your family. 2008 was....GREAT!!

inkley boys said...

You are so delightful! I love reading your well writen blog and seeing your darling children! thank for letting Taylor come over to play he loves you and your family!

Amy said...

I love your new family pic. Looks like you guys had an eventful year! My son didn't believe that was your husband on the billboard! He was like, "no way, that can't be him"

Dani said...

I loved reading this, Laura. I don't get to see you guys all that often, but I love you guys and it was so great to hear about what this year has been for you. :)

darcie said...

laura, i'm back to finally leave you a memory!!! I totally remember going to the rice king with you and ad at our first meeting. You left your big wooden brush behind at the green house and it was in the living room there for what seemed like months and I'd think of your long hair when I'd see it. Now when you misplace your keys or something, it is just a continuation of that early memory. What about us in Becky's graduation dress? What got into us? The recent bush hog ride will go down in the Laura/Darcie memory hall of fame. At Lissy's bridal shower you made a snide comment to me that made me laugh because it seemed so uncharacteristic of you. If you me to remind you of what it was...:) I remember when you and Josh gave us that gorgeous guitar. I was blown away by the generosity. Adam uses it every time he writes. Oh! And of course when you took the time to go ring shopping with us and helped Ad make it happen. So many good memories...

inkley boys said...

Thank you for the cookies you are so nice to my boys!

Jessa said...

I had to do a double take when I was driving down I-15 and saw your hubby up on that billboard!