Friday, September 2, 2011

sad news

We got some devastating news last week.  I hesitated sharing on the blog, but Josh thought it was appropriate.  Josh's Dad was diagnosed with stage 4 esophageal cancer.  (What started as a check up to see about difficulty swallowing turned into a whirlwind of tests, scans, a shunt put in and worse case scenarios unfortunately being found with each prognosis.)  As difficult as this news is and will continue to be his positive, and thoughtful reaction has given the family strength and even strains of gratitude...being able to say good bye, cherishing relationships/family/friends, and making the most of each day.  He has started a milder form (if that's possible) of chemo, that will hopefully let him have a little more time with the best quality of life possible.  Last weekend all the Stika siblings had a chance to be together, here are some of the pictures of the evening.





7 comments:

Kristina said...

Laura and Josh- That is such sad news. Your family will be in our prayers and we hope your dad's treatment goes well and provides him and your family with peace. Kevin's dad battled stage 4 melanoma our first year of marriage and after putting up a good fight for 15 months, he finally got to rest. Our family's theme scripture for that time was D&C 123:17, "Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed." It was amazing to see the blessings that came to both of our families as we put our trust in the Lord at such a hard time. Your family will be in our thoughts. Thanks for sharing the news.

Pat Stika said...

What a beautiful scripture and a nice post, love the pics and thanks for all your support. ( I know that as Josh has been spending more time with his Dad, that means you are managing the troops, with a belly to boot..)

Jessa said...

How sad, I just found out my mother's sister has breast cancer and it's been so sad for the family. I hope all goes well. Hope to see you soon!

Peg said...

We've been so very sorry to learn of Ken's condition. Good to see him looking so happy in these pics though.:) There is just no way to know what is around the bend, is there? We send love to all of you and hopes for lots of sweet experiences in months ahead.

I also love the scripture shared by your friend in the first comment. Beautiful, profoundly simple, and full of assurance.

Rebecca said...

I am sorry to hear this. The pictures of the Stikas are wonderful. I am glad you all got together. I send my love and thoughts to Pat and Ken.

Desaree said...

I am sorry to hear this news, I would like to get in touch with Kenneth. Thanks for the help.

Benjamin Gibson
benjamin-gibson@sbcglobal.net

Lissy Sarvela said...

What lovely and sweet photos showing a dad who LOVES his family and a family who loves him right back.

We love Ken and are sending all the prayers and well wishes we have!