Monday, February 7, 2011

old school volcano

Noah's has had a love/fear of natural disasters for a while...tornados, floods, and volcanoes.  We make volcanoes erupt on somewhat a regular basis.  This old school project starts with making salt dough (equal parts salt and flour and add a little water at a time until you can knead it/add coloring at this point). The same recipe my mom made for us as our play dough.  After forming a volcano, poke a hole center, you just spoon in baking soda and then pour vinegar on top (use red food coloring in the vinegar for the lava color).  I seriously buy vinegar at costco just for this purpose.  Last time we made these Clara's dough was formed in a lumpy flat mound.  Noah chimed in. "Looks like Clara's making a shield volcano"...impressed, I asked what kind he was making, "Cinder-cone",  ofcourse!  I wish I could take credit for teaching those facts (esp. because I taught a unit on it back when I taught first grade).  Noah really was self taught from his own library items (he only brings home nonfiction books and movies).
 

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

I totally missed this fun one. Good times.

Lissy Sarvela said...

Nerd!

(I love it!!! It makes me proud to see another science guru in the fam)

Peg said...

Show them this if they enter some period where they forget what a fun mom you were/are!

Grammy Pat said...

Sweet! Love the depth of his knowledge..so fun to see him grow.