Monday, May 17, 2010

Mmmm, healthy and chocolate

granola bars
This was adapted from a recipe from a food blog connected to the pioneer woman blog.  I do that, I filter through random blogs and look at projects, recipes and file them away for another day never to be started let alone completed. However, I had all but one ingredient in my pantry and it looked too easy not to try.  The bars were yummy and under the category of "healthy", which to me, makes it even tastier.  Since buying wheat germ I've made it three times. I think I'm like my mom in that way, she use to get on a bit of recipe kick and bake it again and again....mini cheesecakes, dutch butter cake, scratch brownies...(highlights of a happy childhood for sure).

ingredients
2 cups oatmeal
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter chips
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt

1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup honey

Preheat oven 350. 
Line 9x13 with foil and then spray with Pam.
Mix dry ingredients
Mix wet ingredients
Pour wet into dry and stir.
Pat into pan.  Bake 15-20 minutes depending on your preference of chewy vs. crisp.
Cut in pan and then let them cool in the pan.
Enjoy! 
(no surprise---I cut out all the oil and replaced with applesauce and it really worked well. I also did it once with 1/4 cup oil 1/4 cup applesauce if you fear no oil.  You can also switch out the choco. and pb chips for whatever you like...craisins, white chocolate, or some yummy combo)

6 comments:

Amy said...

Those look delicious, I will have to give them a try. Thanks for sharing.

Lissy Sarvela said...

They ARE delicious!! I was the recipient of a few, and I am very excited to go get my wheat germ and try a batch of my own. Thanks for sharing!

Rebecca said...

I just made my own version ( only I used applesauce, no oil, no wheat germ, added ground flax and toasted oat bran,and substituted honey with agave syrup ) It's good, but I think I needed to add more wet stuff. My granola bars are a bit too dry. Hey, it's only my first try - and I didn't follow the recipe as well as I should have. Thank you for sharing it.

inkley boys said...

why don't you live next door still I would run right over and snag me one of those!

Shanalyn Wilde said...

Yum! I love how you are combining "healthy and chocolate!" I was going to give these a try since we have all the ingredients...but then Brandon packed up the baking stuff! I guess it will be a fun treat after we move! :)

Amy said...

Finally made these and loved them. They are especially good fresh out of the oven. Yummo!