Friday, November 14, 2008

a santa dilema

Harmon's has been a safe grocery store...free cookies - no toys.That makes for happy, incident free shopping for Noah and mommy alike. This week they rolled out the special Christmas inventory and things changed. They had a huge stack of firetrucks and police cars (Noah's favorites) for double what they're worth (they cost$16.84) right near the register. After much negotiation, Noah tearfully handed over the car to the cashier for a sticker. She gave him helpful advice to write a letter to Santa and ask him for it. Noah was so excited with that prospect and did just that when we got home. Now with six weeks until Christmas I don't know if he (or I) can make it. Here is just a glimpse of (his side of the) conversation that has happened a hundred times the last few days.

"Santa come tonight"
"not yet"
"Christmas eve's tonight?"
"Santa bought my police car from Harmon's?"
"takes a long time?"
"not yet?"
"elf and Santa are wrapping my police car from Harmon's now?"
"Santa come in three minutes?"
"mom, call Santa, bring my police car from Harmon's, right now"
"please?"
"police car door not open, tell Santa"
"not yet?"
"in one minute?"

I brought out a calendar. Talked about what has to happen before then. Talked about how Santa gets choose what he brings and that the letter was just one idea. I want to keep the joy and magic burning in my sweet three year old's eyes. What's the next move?

9 comments:

Kristie said...

Love the story! Love the blog! I had a similar story with Simon at the Harmons however it was a train and I wasn't as nice or patient as you. I am so glad that you blog and that I can view your blog. Your family is so cute and I am glad I can catch up with your family.

Kristie said...

Okay so I just read all of you blogs and I can't belive that you cut your hair. I love it though! You are such a fun writer and your music makes me laugh it is so you!

Rebecca said...

Oh Lo... I think that Noah's questions are so cute, but I am sorry that you'll have to deal with this for a while. It's also lame that you can't go to Harmon's easily now. Eh, next time just tell Noah that maybe Aunt Beck will buy it for him. :) I am a sucker for this kid.

inkley boys said...

Oh how I love that story of Noah It seems like just yesterday that was my Taylor oh wait that was yesterday. I guess they never grow out of wanting things right now, but hey can you blame him? theres a pair of fire engine red shoes I want right now I hope santas elevs are making them in my size right now.

inkley boys said...

ok I'm stalking your blog who is diana plamer? she takes great photos and you guys look so cute! can I have her number?
michelle

Shanalyn Wilde said...

It is so hard when they don't grasp that time concept. We made the mistake of telling Lincoln that some of his favorite cousins are coming to our house (but hey aren't coming until Thanksgiving)! Everyday since then he's been asking about them...did you try making a paper chain with him when you showed him the calendar? Maybe you could put some pictures of a variety of his favorite toys/things at the end of the chain and a picture of Santa?!? Good luck!

Amy said...

Time to go to Harmon's and pick up the toys for Christmas, before they are sold out. He is not going to be happy if Santa doesn't pull through. Kids are so funny how they get their minds set on certain things and won't let it go. My Hannah wants a dog and keeps talking about it, setting up a spot in the bedroom for him, picking out a name, etc. Too bad we are living in an apartment with no yard, no money, and no chance of getting a dog. She is coming to grips with it though, slowly :)

Jessa said...

Yes, time is a hard concept for a toddler. Get him an advent calender that he can eat the chocolates every day to count down to Christmas, it worked for Kira last year.

Peg said...

I was sympathetic before, but when he told me a couple of those same things on the phone, I felt your pain. Some good comments and ideas from your friends. I've decided that the anticipation is part of the process, even if it seems unbearable. [that great philosopher, Mr. Rogers, used to think so too.]

..and it's a great story.